Sunday, April 14, 2013

Week 13 - Reorganization

I have not been happy with the layout of the main pages. The homepage is the only one I storyboarded, after all, and I like it very much.

But the rest of the pages... I've struggled with how to organize the content so the user is not have to read a ton of information.  That's boring for the user, and probably a little fatiguing too.

I was waiting for inspiration to strike me, so I could figure out how to make some fun little bits to present some of the content on each page. But that hasn't happened yet.

I told my HTML SME, "I do not like the way the content looks on all these pages. It's looks amateur. It looks like I vomited bullet points on the page with some images stuck in. I hate it."

I spent some time surfing around, to fond a layout I like.

The BBC has some nice vertical columns, http://www.bbc.co.uk/, for their Entertainment, Health, Technology, and Sciences pages.

I told my SME, "I want columns like these. These are pretty!" My SME gave me the code, showed me how to get it to work on one page, and I copied it onto the bottom of every main page throughout the site.

This did two wonderful things right away: It lightened the page of half the text, and it gave me a way to organize small chunks of information while keeping them small chunks instead of lengthy paragraphs.

I did the same for the upper part of the page, finding a layout I liked at http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/our-work. We made a narrow, left-hand column that stacks vertically, and a wider column on the right for a large picture and the main text of the page. Copy and paste the code for all that onto each page, organize all the content, and viola.

Now that the pages have some structure, and I'm using my resources in a smart way, I feel so much better about the project!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment